Saturday, December 1, 2007

I would usually not use a rhyming form because I don't really like the restriction, and English is not the best language to rhyme in! But all the same, I've written a Villanelle...

Is this how you wanted me to remember you?
My wasted effort, my heart and my sleeve
Isn't it odd to think we once were two?

To think of all the ways I knew 
that we would fall apart and I would grieve...
Is this how you wanted me to remember you?

It's a dream to recall the motions we went through
It's a dream to reenact the ways you'd leave
Isn't it odd to think we once were two?

All the words you'd say, all the things you'd assume
I do not hate you, but I do not believe 
that this is how you wanted me to remember you.

And then you gave me that certain, sullen cue,
I knew to remove my possessions and myself, retrieve.
Suddenly, it's odd to think we once were two.

I do not know you, although somehow, I do.
And alone, you see the things you see and live the way you live.
Is this how you wanted me to remember you:
To think, isn't it odd to think we, once, were two?

No comments: